Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NWSS & Massey Theatre - separate issues.

Excuse me for sounding bitter, but………

I have begun several times over the years to write a letter to the school board and city councilors of New Westminster out of sheer frustration and bewilderment, but I have always curbed my desire by thinking “It’s ok, they’ll get it together”. In the last municipal election I felt strongly that New Westminster residents would vote in new representation on the board and in the city in hopes of making some positive changes, but again (“the nice New Westminster residents that we are”) we re-elected virtually the exact same people who have made extremely bad or NO decisions that have greatly affected our wonderful city.

I do not like confrontation, which is another reason I have not spoken up publicly, but really…. “What is going on!?!?!?!?!?!?!“ 

I do not know my facts as to when, how and why things have taken place, but what I do know is my eldest son was supposed to be the first graduating class from the ‘NEW HIGH SCHOOL’…. He is now in his second year of post secondary education (the school was to be completed in 2007).   I know that before a contract was secured for construction of the new high school, demolition began!!!!!!!!!!  I know that my son was one of many students that were exposed to asbestos when demolition of the high school was underway….I know that NWSS has been deemed essential to tear down and rebuild for years.  I don’t know if his brother who is in grade 9 this year will see completion of the new high school before he graduates.

I know that Massey Theatre was closed down during the NWSS demolish fiasco, and continued to be closed pending a decision on new construction of the still un-built, undecided NEW high school.  I know that while Massey Theatre was closed, my son, among the many other music students and staff left school property each day to attend their classes at the generously provided space at the Royal City Christian Centre.  I know that a lot of inconvenience was endured and great revenue was lost due to the closure of Massey Theatre.  I know that Massey Theatre now faces a possible wrecking ball because it doesn’t meet today’s building codes. “How many of our solid, old, ‘non-leaky’, heritage and non-heritage homes and public buildings in New Westminster do meet up to present day building codes? Do we tear down our solid structures or do we repair them as needed!?”  I know that Massey Theatre is a major part of our heritage and culture and is of exceptional value and significance in our ‘RoyalCity’. We need to realize the difference between what is of value to keep and what must be replaced.  We need the art in New Westminster and we are proud to show case them in the beautiful Massey Theatre. We also desperately need a newly constructed high school – one we can be proud of too.

I know excessive money and endless time has already been spent on analyzing and re-analyzing a new high school location.  Let’s not make foolish decisions.  Who out there has sound, workable solutions?  We need a new high school and we need to keep Massey Theatre.

Now I am only left with questions. Can the cemetery be decommissioned and the high school built there? Can the skate park soil be stabilized and the new school built there? Can we demo and build in stages on the existing site?  I’m sure many people have questions, ideas and suggestions.

It is truly far beyond time that New Westminster got it together!!!!  I don’t know about every other New Westminster resident, but I am exasperated and embarrassed with the grasping at straws, backward thinking and impulsive ideas and inactions that continue to plague us.  I can truly see why many students have left the New Westminster school district to attend school in other well-operating districts.

When can we expect viable solutions and see positive actions in this City of New Westminster that we want to be proud of?

Pat Kaufhold
New Westminster, B.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment